St George's Park History
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
St George's Park - Chapter 4 - Splintering of the South African Coloured Cricket Board
The South African Coloured Cricket Board controlled Black cricket until 1926 when a split resulted in the establishment of the South African Independent Coloured Cricket Board. Sir David Harris, chairman of the De Beers Consolidated Mines Ltd., who assisted Bud-Mbele to secure the Barnato Memorial Trophy, donated the Sir David Harris Trophy to the South African Independent Coloured Cricket Board.
The 1926 split was a dispute based on ethnic and religious lines. This initial split heralded further disintegration when the South African Bantu Cricket Board was established in 1932 and in 1940 (when) the South African Indian Cricket Union was created. The Indian Cricket Union played for the Christopher Trophy.
The creation of the South African Bantu Cricket Union in 1923 heralded the death-knell of the SACCB which was only resuscitated in 1944. This resuscitation was only partly due to the inability to stage tournaments.