St George's Park History
Port Elizabeth, South Africa

South African Cricket Timeline St George's Park - South African Cricket Timeline
South African Cricket Timeline
Ivor Markman

1896. First test match against England.

Sharpeville shootings just before SA tour of Britain in I960. - campaign against Race Discrimination in Sport (Rev David Shepphard)

1961. SA loses membership of Imperial Cricket Conference.

1962. Pakistan Cricket Board of Control opposes moves to reinstate SA.

International Cricket Conference (new name for ICC) refuses readmittance to SA.

1962. India refuses to admit Neil Adcock, Trevor Goddard, and Roy McLean to play in Bombay for the multiracial Ron Roberts International Cavaliers side. Pakistani Cricket Board says OK, but Pakistani Government instructs that the South Africans be banned.

1963/4 .During the Australian tour the pitch was dug up at Wellington just before the test.

March 1966. Colin Bland and Pollock brothers invitation to play for the Rest of the World against Barbados was withdrawn.

1967. A top SA tobacco company offered to sponsor a match between SA and the West Indies and Britain, but nothing came of it.

SA Minister of Sport, Frank Waring, says "If whites and non-whites start competing against each other, there will be such viciousness as has never been seen before."

April 1967. BJ Vorster said SA was prepared to receive a mixed side, but with conditions attached. D'Oliviera offered R40,000, a house and a coaching position with the SA Sports Foundation, but he had to declare that he was unavailable for the English tour of SA. The offer was withdrawn. The SA Minister of Sport says it was not a bribe, only a legitimate business offer. MCC selectors leave Dolly's name off the team. Then, after an injury to one of the other players, he was selected. Vorster then said that it was a team of the anti-apartheid movement, and was unacceptable to SA. MCC subsequently canceled the tour.

The 1968 banning of Basil D'Oliveira by BJ Vorster.

Reverend Davis Sheppherd proposed MCC suspend future cricket relations with SA. Of the 5,900 members who voted on the issue, 75% dismiss the proposal.

May 1969. SANROC hold talks to get 1970 SA tour of England cancelled.

December 1969. Jack Cheetham, president of SACA announced selection on merit and a grant to black cricket. Caused great controversy overseas. SACBOC will have nothing to do with SACA's plans.

Five days before Cheetham's announcement, SACA turned down a request from English side, Cavaliers Cricket Club, for a racially mixed team tour of SA.

Protests to 1970 tour intensified. A dozen fields were dug up in one night. MCC bought 300 rolls of barbed wire, tour shortened to 12 matches on 8 grounds.

English Prime Minister, Harold Wilson, on TV, called the 1970 tour a big mistake and said that anyone should feel free to protest against it.

Prospective English players were informed that their lives had been insured for £15,000 by the Fair Cricket Campaign.

West Indies Board of Control issued a statement expressing opposition to the tour.

SACA warned in SA by the Sunday Times that they would be exposing players to injury, possibly even death, if tour went ahead.

May 22, 1970. Tour of England cancelled after the English Home Secretary Callaghan requested it.

1971 tour to Australia by South African Nuffield side cancelled.

Sir Donald Bradman announced that the Australian Cricket Board of Control was withdrawing it's invitation for the 1971/72 SA tour to Australia.

April 1971. White SA cricketers walked off the field and indicated in no uncertain terms that they were disappointed with the Govrnments refusal to allow two "non-white" players to tour with the SA team in Australia the following year. This was the first significant action by white players on the subject of mixed teams. "We cricketers feel that the time has come for an expression of our views. We fully support the South African Cricket Association's application to include non-whites on the tour to Australia if good enough, and furthermore, subscribe to merit's (sic) being the only criterion on the cricket field."

The English invitation tour of SA in March-April 1972 fell through.

April 50, 1972. The first meeting of the three national bodies controlling cricket in SA was convened at the Holiday Inn at Jan Smuts Holiday Inn. The African and white bodies created the Cricket Council of SA, but SACBOC refused to be a part thereof.

1973. West Indies all-rounder, Gary Sobers, requested permission to play in SA in the first Datsun Double-Wicket Competition. He was turned down.

1973. Basil D'Oliviera was pressurised by Hassan Howa, SACBOC president, into turning down an invitation to the first Datsun Double-Wicket Competition to partner Tony Greig. Organised by Lee Irvine and Robin Binckes. This competition was the first in SA under the Governments 'multi-national' policy, allowed blacks and whites to compete in 'International' level. Indian, Pakistani and West Indian Boards of control refused to allow their player to take part, but rebels Younis Ahmed and Saeed Ahmed, Mohammed Ilyas, Billy Abdullah, John Shepherd and Geoff Greenidge took part in subsequent tournaments. England, Australia and New Zealand were regularly represented in the annual event. SACBOC maintained their opposition on principle

In 1973, in 1974 and again in 1975, SACBOC applied for membership of the International Cricket Conference in an unsuccessful attempt to wrest international recognition from SACA.

1973. The SA Government refused to grant a passport to Hassan Howa to travel to London as an observer to the 1973 International Cricket Conference. However, Messrs. Pahad and Bhana spoke to delegates before the conference.

1973. ICC approved plans for a World Cup to be held in 1975 if the SA tour to England did not materialise.

March 1973. SACBOC initiate second meeting between the three cricket governing bodies. Legal advice said there was no law to stop cricketers playing together if playing on private grounds, without spectators, do not share facilities, and do not drink together. SACBOC offered to play under these conditions, but the Cricket Council members reiterated their belief that change must start at the top. They also suggested that the Minister of Sport be approached for clarification of the sports policy. The meeting ended after a sub-committee consisting of the three presidents had been delegated to set up a blueprint for merit selection within a time limit of two months.

May 1973. The meeting was held but ended in disruption of talks between the three bodies. According to Hassan Howa when they sat down "Mr Wallace presented only his reccomendations - SACBOC and SAACBs submission having been ignored by the convener in drawing up the blueprint."

November 1973. Sedick Conrad, captain of SABOC's Western Province affiliate, "watched the Derrick Robins side play at Newlands and was banned by Mr Howa's union for refusing to apologise. Conrad took the banning to court and had it repealed.

1974. Yosuf Cajee and Solly Chotia, of the Transvaal Cricket Federation, delivered a memorandum to ICC official at Lords. Although not allowed to attend the meeting, they were allowed to meet other delegations afterwards in the Lord's Long Room.

A report was read on the second day of the conference that Hassan Howa had no knowledge of the delegation. That ensured that the official delegates had no further contact with Cajee and Chotia. Nevertheless, matters aired by the two regarding the various cricketing bodies in SA were discussed on an unofficial basis by those present.

October 1974. Western Province African Cricket Trust (WESTPACT) was registered with the Master of the Supreme Court in Cape Town. The Trust aimed at collecting R50,000 to foster cricket amongst Africans in WP, to aid in the improvement of playing facilities.

November 1974. Transvaal Cricket Union and its SACBOC counterpart announced that they would organise integrated club leagues as from the following season. Interprovicial matches could not be included because they were "public" in terms of the law and Government permission was required. The Government (Dr Piet Koornhof) remained unnexible and stuck to their policies.

1975. Five SA women cricketers were invited to play in an invitational XI in the inaugural Women's World Cup but the invitations were withdrawn after Trinidad and Jamaica threatened to withdraw.

1975. Cricket Council ignores tour to SA by the Derrick Robins side, composed entirely of players contracted to English Counties.

Website Researched by Ivor Markman
Webmaster Darryn van der Walt

Please Sign Our Guestbook

For replies, click on "Contact Us".

Copyright © 2006 Ivor Markman / Darryn Van Der Walt / The Herald / Weekend Post / All contributors / . All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of site content, by any means including by electronic, printed, audio or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Ivor Markman. The contributors shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. The St George's Weathervane Dragon is copyright.

Navigation