St George's Park History
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
St George's Park - The Art Galleries
The two art galleries next to the Cenotaph were built at different times.
First the Arts Hall, the first building with adequate lighting and designed by the architects, Jones and McWilliams, was opened by the Mayor, AH Brooks on December 7, 1927 at the same timne as the ninth annual exhibition of the Eastern Province Society of Arts and Crafts.
Because of it's fine stage, the building proved to be a very useful building and was used for concerts and other functions.
The companion King George VI Art Gallery was intended to commemorate the 1947 Royal Visit. It was opened by Councillor JG Young on June 22, 1956.
The name of the King George VI Art Gallery has now been changed, because of it's "Colonial ties," to the Nelson Mandela Art Gallery.