St George's Park History
Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Social Functions St George's Park - Trafalgar Day
Trafalgar Day

Trafalgar Centenary will at least be remembered by the children of Port Elizabeth for many years to come and for the next few days their little minds will be full of the happy time they were permitted to spend through the kindness the Mayor, Mr A Fettes.

Altogether close on 4,500 children, attending the different denominational schools, were assembled at St George’s Park.

Click image to enlarge
An additional 3,000 adults were also present. Refreshments were provided at the WCTU booth and the ladies in charge are deserving of great praise for their attendance and attention.

The sweets, of which there was an ample supply, were supplied by Messrs Pyott, Ltd, and Messrs Anderson while the paper bags were given by Messrs Whyte & Co, bakers.

During the afternoon selections were rendered by the Prince Alfred’s Guard band and the St Cyprian’s band.

Shortly before 2 o’clock happy bands of children from the various schools assembled on the Donkin Reserve with their parents.

Click image to enlarge
The scholars representing the schools were brought into position and headed by the PAG band.

The procession left the Donkin and proceeded up Bird Street to St George’s Park.

Scores of people followed the procession whilst hundreds more lined the route.

The fine model of the Victory, built by employees of the Harbour Board under the supervision of Captain Clift, was greatly admired.

Unfortunately a slight halt was occasioned owing to the main mast of the Victory catching in the electric wires in Whyte’s Road and snapping.

The procession took 20 minutes to pass any given point. On entering the Park each school fell out at its allotted space.

The little ones regaled themselves with the good things in the form of mutton pies, buns, sweets, fruit, ginger beer, etc.

The lower and larger part of the park was set aside for the European children, while those attending native and coloured schools were given ample accommodation in the upper portion.

The principle item as far as the children were concerned was the presentation of “Victory” souvenirs by the Mayor.

These souvenirs, consisting of medals and brooches made of copper from the “Victory,” form very pleasing mementos and will be greatly treasured by the young people.

These were sent out by the British and Foreign Sailors Society and presented to the boys and girls who collected at least 5s towards the Nelson Centenary Fund.

Mr C E Geard, Chairman of the Seaman’s Institute, presented a miniature bust of Lord Nelson, which bore the inscription

“This bust contains ‘Victory’ copper for the Nelson Centenary, October 21st, 1905, presented by British and Foreign Sailors Society. EV Vll,"

The Mayor promised to place it in an appropriate position.

Eastern Province Herald
October, 1905.

Website Researched by Ivor Markman
Webmaster Darryn van der Walt

Please Sign Our Guestbook

For replies, click on "Contact Us".

Copyright © 2006 Ivor Markman / Darryn Van Der Walt / The Herald / Weekend Post / All contributors / . All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of site content, by any means including by electronic, printed, audio or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Ivor Markman. The contributors shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. The St George's Weathervane Dragon is copyright.

Navigation