St George's Park History
Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Rugby St George's Park - 1938 British Rugby Tour of South Africa - Second Test
1938 British Rugby Tour of South Africa - Second Test
September 3, 1938 - Port Elizabeth

The second international match was played in sweltering heat. It was a real tropical day gone astray  which found its way to Port Elizabeth.

Click image to enlarge
1938 British Tour of South Africa
Second Test at Port Elizabeth - September 3, 1938.
DO Williams, P de Wet, TA Harris, FG Turner, D Craven (Captain), GP Lochner, J Bester, B du Toit, MM Louw, F Bergh, JW Lotz, JT Apsey, AR Sheriff, SC Louw, LC Strachan.

The players arrived at the ground with beads of perspiration on their foreheads, and the spectators were basking in their shirt sleeves. The temperature in the shade registered 92 degrees.

Under such conditions nobody could expect the same standard of rugby as produced by the two teams in the first test. Just before the match the Springboks suffered a severe blow when Brand found that he could not play as a result of a leg injury sustained in a practice game.

Johnny Bester was rushed from Cape Town to take the wing berth, whilst Turner was shifted to the fullback position. The Britons started the game vigorously.

Hooking the ball with clock-like precision they soon camped in Springbok territory. Here two early penalties went abegging, and several movements were dangerous. At that stage it looked as if they were feeling the heat less than their opponents.

When the Springboks did break away it produced one of the finest rushes of the match. Ferdie Bergh broke away from a line-out and passed to Sherriff. From him the ball was passed to each forward in turn who, on being tackled, gave the ball to the man next to him.

When all the forwards had their turn it went to the backs until De Wet was grassed just short of the line. Soon afterwards Bergh broke again and gave to Du Toit who sidestepped his way through to score under the goal posts.

Turner converted. From that stage the game swung up and down the field, bristling with excitement. Neither side could penetrate the defence, until Lochner broke past his man. When he found himself near the touchline he cut in and evaded all opposition. Turner converted again.

10 - 0.

The second half had hardly begun when Craven broke round the blindside and sent Bester on a run in which he beat several men before going over. 13 - 0.

Soon after this Williams produced the finest bit of individualism anybody could wish to see. Receiving the ball inside his own half he wound his way through all the Britons, leaving many of them prostrate on the ground.

Nearer and nearer he got to his goal, but always there was another opponent in the way.
Exhausted he reached the line, dived over, but as he did so he lost the ball. That was the nearest the Springboks got to scoring in this half.

For the rest they had to be content with two penalties put over by Turner to make their score 19 points. Towards the end of the game the Britons attacked with might and main, and only a solid defence kept them at bay.

A few minutes from time this defence yielded when Reynolds picked up a dropped pass and ran through on to Turner. Duff was there to take the final pass. 19 - 3.

Final Score:
Britain: 3 - South Africa: 19.

Website Researched by Ivor Markman
Webmaster Darryn van der Walt

Please Sign Our Guestbook

For replies, click on "Contact Us".

Copyright 2006 Ivor Markman / Darryn Van Der Walt / The Herald / Weekend Post / All contributors / . All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of site content, by any means including by electronic, printed, audio or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Ivor Markman. The contributors shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. The St George's Weathervane Dragon is copyright.