St George's Park History
Port Elizabeth, South Africa

The Matches St George's Park - Boks Crash Through
Boks Crash Through
Procter to the fore in a grand slam.
James Hattle
Evening Post Sports Editor

For the first time in history, South Africa completed four consecutive victories in a Test series when they scored a grand slam over Australia in the fourth and final game in St. George's Park this afternoon. (March 1, 1970)

Their margin of victory was as decisive as in any of the other three Tests. South Africa won by 323 runs.

For a long time today, the Australians appeared to be making a strong fight for survival.

Click image to enlarge
Paul Sheahan goes on the drive to a ball from Springbok spinner. John Traicos, during the last day of the fourth Test at St George's Park.
Indeed, while Paul Sheahan and Doug Walters were together before lunch, the Australians were definitely dictating the events, Sheahan, in particular, played some glorious shots in his 46, but, when he could not resist the temptation to flash at Trimborn and gave Lindsay one of his four catches of the innings, the Australian resistance began to crumble.

But there was still Walters. And it was not until just before the lunch interval that Mike Procter, who had to bare an additional brunt in the absence of Peter Pollock and, himself, suffering from a slight dose of 'flu, broke through Walter's defence to make Australia 207/6.

From this stage onwards, the Australian tailenders provided little more than nuisance value.

But Mayne and Taber, aided by lapses in the field, forced Bacher to bring on the new ball.

Procter was back in the attack and he got Mayne caught behind by Lindsay for 12, dismissed McKenzie in the same manner for two and sent Gleeson's stumps flying with the next ball.

Connolly prevented the hatrick, but lasted only a minute or two before hitting a simple catch off Trimborn appropriately to the Springbok captain, Ali Bacher, who thus had the final hand in the series in which he has emerged as an astute captain and leader.

Procter, in spite of his slight indisposition, turned in a splendid bowling performance, crashing through the tail to take six for 73.

So it's all over for the season.

South Africa were immeasurably superior throughout and it is significant that the fourth Test was the longest of all and this one did not go beyond the 230 pm on the fifth day.

A crowd of about 6000 saw the final stages of the series and nearly all of them stayed back to listen to speeches after the game.

Later this week, the Springbok selectors will name the team to go to England.

In view of the fact that Lee Irvine, who will play in the Test side, can also keep wicket, it seems certain that the selectors will choose only 14 players.

In this event, they will select the 11 who took the side to victory today, plus Arthur Short, who was 12th man in the fourth Test.

This would seem to take care of the batting, but in view of the necessity to protect the speed attack, at least one additional pace-bowler will be required. And this may well be Gary Watson, of Transvaal, or failing him, the lanky Vincent van der Bijl, of Natal.

An additional spinner may be the Western Province left-hander, Graham Chevalier, or Peter de Vaal, of Transvaal.

Evening Post

March 1, 1970

Website Researched by Ivor Markman
Webmaster Darryn van der Walt

Please Sign Our Guestbook

For replies, click on "Contact Us".

Copyright © 2006 Ivor Markman / Darryn Van Der Walt / The Herald / Weekend Post / All contributors / . All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of site content, by any means including by electronic, printed, audio or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Ivor Markman. The contributors shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. The St George's Weathervane Dragon is copyright.